Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fix-er-up-er

It seems like all of Jecheon is being rennovated. All the sidewalks in my city are being redone. The wedding hall  down the street has been under rennovation for awhile now. They took out some windows and added an elevator. Now they're fixing up the inside. A new restaraunt opened on the same street, closer to home. ... At least, I think it's a restaurant. It's one of those small rooms, but when I walk by I can see a few tables and chairs. There were ribbons hanging everywhere the day it opened. In the other direction, there's a building that has been under construction (from scratch) since I arrived. For the longest time, it was just a frame. Since I rarely walk that way, it's always a surprise to see what new things have been added to the building. I walked that way last night and discovered a title for the building. It's going to be a coffee shop! Yay, now I don't have to walk so far for hot chocolate!

Of course, South Korea's really good at building things quickly. The country as a whole has grown as much as it has, and successfully,  for many reasons, but they really work hard. So, it's no surprise that my city is going to look brand new again in such a short period of time. Really, I'm thankful about the sidewalks. I have yet to stop complaining about them. The new ones are much nicer, and I can walk straight for a good 30 seconds without looking down to check my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment