Thursday, May 24, 2012

So, What Do I Think?

Am I ready to be a full-time teacher?

Is teaching the right career for me? No. I think I'm more suited to be a tutor than a homeroom teacher. I say this after a successful day of classes with my students, so it should be a fair evaluation on my part. I really have grown to like these kids. Even the naughty ones. ...Because, even the naughty ones are starting to behave. Even the bright ones who grow tired of me some days come back again to talk to me. Everything takes time. I think I'll feel more comfortable as a tutor, because it's easier to help people with whatever they need help with at that moment. It's easier to help students learn what they want to learn, when they want to learn it. As a part-time teacher here, I have to figure out what interests the kids, what they want to learn at that moment, and what other English teachers are teaching them. It's been a fortunate experience to be a helper in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes for the last month or two. I can better understand the levels of those who come to my class by seeing what they're learning outside. Then they seem to tune in better when my lessons are about things they're learning elsewhere. They can answer more questions at least.

Even so, I don't feel like teaching would be a great profession for me. I enjoy teaching people, but it's not something I can do full-time for the rest of my life. Saying that, I will continue to do my best with this job to the very end. I will Teach and Learn in Korea.

'Til next time,
-Shirby

No comments:

Post a Comment