Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wrapping Up

Things are wrapping up here in Korea.

I've got about two weeks to go. Two busy weeks of trying to make the most of every moment. Tomorrow's my last day teaching. I asked for the last week off in order to take care of errands without the stress of rushing around. I plan to visit the school again during my "vacation" so that I can say final goodbyes, talk to the kids again, and hand out thank-you cards. Ah, I don't like goodbyes.

I said goodbye to my Australian friend this morning. I helped her call a taxi so she could head off to meet her family in Hong Kong for some travelling time. The taxi driver was baffled by the two suitcases she carried to the curb. Apparently, Korean people don't need so many bags while moving away. Still, through his "Aigooooo" 's and struggles to fit the bags in his car, my friend and I chuckled and gave each other hugs. It felt significant to be speaking to the driver in Korean as I helped send my friend off. A mark of how this place has changed me. Then, as it was 4:30 in the morning, I crawled back into bed and slept restlessly until my third alarm went off.

I have so many things I want to start doing when I get back home. All are because of my experiences here. I feel like the motivation is truly there this time. I just hope that I can accomplish some of those dreams and goals.

I have so many things I need to take care of before heading out, all of which involve the people I've met in Korea. I have thank-you cards to write; friends to track down; last-minute souvenirs to buy; last-minute friends to make (it will happen, whether I want it to or not); favorite Korean food to savor before it becomes too far out of reach; .... ah, the list goes on.

At school, I'm making pinatas with the 1st and 2nd graders. The 3rd and 4th graders are learning to move in time with Daft Punk via notecards and dance moves. The 5/6 graders made a time capsule. I hope that they don't truly lose it and it never gets opened.

I'd like to come to Korea again. I'd like to continue studying the language. I'd like to see all the friends I've made here in the future (whenever that time may come). I have so many hopes now, so many dreams. I pray that God will help me find the right path, and walk with me along it.

'Til next time,
-Shirby

No comments:

Post a Comment