Sunday, April 22, 2012

Beautiful

It finally happened...

A friend of mine asked me what I thought of her eyes. I knew what she meant, what she was looking for in my answer. She told me that her mom brought up eye surgery. It's an (unfortunately) popular thing here in Korea. Girls (I don't know about boys) get a quick surgery on their eyelids to create a double eyelid. What's a double eyelid? The crease on your eyelid that appears when your eyes are open and disappears when you close your eyes. Most of you probably have this. Many Koreans see this as beautiful, and though their eyes do not come like this, they go through something as permanent as surgery to feel more beautiful.

I told my friend she has a beautiful face. She does not need the surgery. She tells me, thank you, but the more people suggest it to her, the more pressured she will feel to do it. I tell her (somewhat reluctantly) that the only reason she should do it is if SHE wants to, and not because others are telling her. Afterwards, I didn't know what else to say. Her eyes (just like many Asians I have come across) are something that I consider beautiful. Westerners create makeup techniques that give them the appearance of having Asian eyes. How come no one is satisfied with how they were made? How come people favor envying what others have... things that they themselves weren't meant to have? How come society is like this?

'Til next time,
-Shirby

No comments:

Post a Comment